China cancels trade talks with US as tariff threats escalate

A mid-level delegation was due to travel to Washington ahead of Liu’s visit, but the trip has now been abandoned

SHANGHAI: China has canceled upcoming trade talks with the United States and will not send vice-premier Liu He to Washington next week, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing sources.

The Wall Street Journal said a mid-level delegation was due to travel to Washington ahead of Liu’s visit, but the trip has now been abandoned.

Earlier this week, China added $60 billion of US products to its import tariff list as it retaliated against US duties on $200 billion of Chinese goods set to go into effect from Sept 24.

Must Read

Amazon bids to buy TikTok as deadline looms

WASHINGTON: Amazon.com has put in a last-minute bid to buy TikTok, a US administration official said on Wednesday, just days ahead of an April...